Image from the October 12, 2012 strip of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
While a more in-depth definition can be found at Merriam-Webster, malapropism is basically a case of using a similarly sounding word in a way that ends up humorous.
Not sure what a malapropism is? In light of the death of Jean Stapleton, I thought I'd share a couple of examples of malapropisms from All in the Family's Archie Bunker.
- the Women's Liberation Movement became "the Women's Lubrication Movement"
- “This is a Jewish cake! They give this to a Jewish kid before he gets circumscribed.”
- “The Bible, if ya read it you'd know. It's right in the beginning there, in the Book of Generous.”
- “What do I look like, an inferior decorator?”
- “At night they all come out of the subway and they're hooverin' around the corner.”
What are some of your favorite malapropisms?